Pages

Sunday, April 10, 2011

And the mystery recipe is....Stuffing? In April?! Oy Vey...

I'm browsing through one of my new vegan cookbooks, Color Me Vegan, and BAM, there it is... a recipe for stuffing. Mmmm... okay, now I want some stuffing! So all I can think about is stuffing, and I started thinking back to past Thanksgiving and Christmas feasts, remembering how much I enjoyed the stuffing David's mom always prepares... using muffins in place of stale bread!! Delicious! Last Christmas I actually made the muffins for Jacki's stuffing and it was as good as ever!

This time though I was ready to take on my own stuffing. I tried making stuffing once before; not bad, but not great either. Let's putting this way, I wouldn't go out of my way to make it again. So I decided NOW was the time to master stuffing (yes I'm a big dork), with two goals in mind: 1.) Use Muffins and 2.) 100% Vegan! Where would I get these vegan muffins though? What could be better than making homemade muffins using recipes from The 2011 Cookbook Challenge! That's right! 

So I decided to make three kinds of muffins: corn, apple walnut, and pumpkin spice! I wanted to try something new - the addition of pumpkin bread into stuffing was intriguing!

I made a fantastic stuffing! Normally I'm not so confident about my recipes but this was seriously delicious! I found that making the stuffing moist enough was the key to making this so wonderful!
So here's the recipe! I used the recipe from my vegan cookbook as a base and changed it up the way I wanted it. I hope you enjoy it! If you want the vegan muffin recipes that I used feel free to let me know and I'll send the recipes your way!
 



Apple, Cranberry, and Walnut Stuffing

Ingredients
  • 6 regular-sized corn muffins, cubed or crumbled
  • 3 large (or 6 regular-sized) pumpkin muffins, cubed or crumbled
  • 6 regular-sized apple walnut muffins, cubed and crumbled
  • 1-2 tbsp grapeseed oil
  • 1 large yellow onion, chopped
  • 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
  • 2 tsp dried sage
  • 1 tsp dried rosemary
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 1/2 tsp dried tarragon
  • 1/2 tsp dried parsley
  • sea salt, to taste
  • fresh ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1 tart apple, cored, chopped, and unpeeled
  • 5.2 oz container dried cranberries
  • 1 cup walnuts, chopped
  • 1-1/2 - 2 cups vegetable stock, or more if needed
  • 2-3 tbsp nondairy butter (Earth Balance, soy-free), melted
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
  2. In a large bowl, combine all of the muffins. Set aside.
  3. Heat oil in a large skillet and add the onion and celery. Cook on medium-high heat for about 10 minutes.
  4. Add the sage, rosemary, thyme, tarragon, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
  5. Remove the skillet from the heat and transfer the mixture to the bowl of bread.
  6. Stir in the apple, cranberries, walnuts, and vegetable stock. Mix thoroughly.
  7. Add more vegetable stock if mixture is not moist enough.
  8. Transfer mixture to a casserole dish and drizzle with melted butter.
  9. Bake for aproximately 1 hour , or until the top is a golden-brown color.
  10. Serves 8-10.
Yummy!!

Now for those of you who do not like all the fruity/nutty stuff (a.k.a. David), I also made a vegan traditional stuffing! I made it the same exactly way except the bread consisted of 6 corn muffins and 1/2 loaf of French bread, omitting all the fruity muffins, chopped apples, cranberries and walnuts. Still great! 

2 comments:

  1. Stuffing is my absolute favorite part of 'traditional' American holiday meals. And it's surprisingly easy to make vegan! I've never heard of using muffins instead of bread for stuffing, but I think it's something I would give a shot. You're recipe looks fantastic, and major kudos for being creative!

    What did you serve it with? And I'd be interested in the pumpkin muffin recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try it with muffins instead! You won't want to go back to the traditional stuffing! LOL. I have to give credit to David's mom for being the brave one who originally tried making stuffing using muffins. And I loved it when she made it then! I served roasted turkey breast to David and his mom, while I had just a simple baked tofu dish. Along with it David made mashed potatoes (not vegan) and we had steamed pole beans and sauteed asparagus. I'll email you the recipe!

    ReplyDelete