Pages

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Lentil Marinara Sauce: Super Thick and Yummy!

I am back! Sorry it has taken me so long to update my blog. It gets a little busy when you have family and best friends visiting, and unfortunately, those unexpected events. But here I am, ready to share my fun and fabulous dishes with you all!

I adapted this lentil marinara sauce recipe from Mrs. J. She had given me this recipe months ago and I finally got the chance to check it out! As I was cooking it though, I decided to turn it into something a little bit more than sauce! More like a stew, but it was a nice, thick sauce perfect over pasta, sauteed veggies (my preference for a healthier dish), or even rice! I love marinara sauces, and to me, the thicker, the better! Yum!

Ingredients
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 3-4 fresh garlic cloves, minced
  • 1-2 tbsp olive oil
  • 4 cups vegetable broth
  • 1-1/2 cups lentils, uncooked 
  • 1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne
  • 4 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
  • 3 (6-oz) cans tomato paste
  • 2 (14.5) oz cans diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1-2 cups broccoli florets
  • 3/4 salt
  • pepper, to taste
  • 1/2 tsp basil
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 1/2 tsp parsley
  • 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
  • 3 handfuls of baby spinach leaves

Directions
  1. In a  large pot or dutch oven, saute the onion and garlic in oil on medium-high heat until tender.
  2. Add the broth, lentils, and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 40-45 minutes covered.
  3. While the lentil mixture is cooking, steam the carrots for roughly 20 minutes, then puree or mash them. This helps to thicken the sauce. Set aside.
  4. Once the lentils are done cooking, to the lentil mixture, add the pureed/mashed carrots, tomato paste, diced tomatoes,  broccoli florets, and spices. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 20-30 minutes.
  5. Add the spinach leaves, cover the pot and simmer for 5 minutes more, until the spinach is wilted.
  6. Serve over sauteed, julienned vegetables (i.e. zucchini, squash, carrots) or rice or pasta. Top with fresh basil.
  7. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I am not vegan, but when I was in FL Rach made this and it was FANTASTIC!!! The flavor is sooo good and she even made me some to take home. Because I am not vegan I added some ground turkey breast to it and its FANTASTIC! LOVE this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete